Yarn Along ~ Knitting with a bit of reading!

Two of my favourite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well.  So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?  ~ Ginny from Small Things

I finished my top-down cardi this past week and I love it!  It inspired me to try another top-down, so I’ve casted on Vodka Lemonade by Thea Colman of Baby Cocktails.  I’m using my stash of Madelinetosh sport weight in the colorway Badlands and I love the look so far.  I haven’t gotten very far on this project, but at least you can see a bit of what I’ve done so far.

Sunday I finished reading Heather Barbieri’s The Lace Makers of Glenmara .  To me this book was very enjoyable and a relaxing book to read, refreshing maybe a good choice of words for what I thought of it too.  I have started to read Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon , which I’ve read many years ago and wanted to re-read.  I love this series and if you haven’t read any of Diana’s books, I do recommend reading them.

I like to read more than one book at a time and truly enjoy reading Elizabethan books (anything to do with Queen Elizabeth and the Tudors).  I have chosen to also read the Poyson Garden by Karen Harper.    This series is brand new to me and I happened upon book one in my local thrift shop and it looked interesting.  Chapter one has hooked me and I think I’m going to enjoy this book immensely and I’ve had the fortune to find the other 8 books of this series that I’m looking forward to reading very soon!

About Tina

I admit that I am a yarnaholic, fiberholic kind of gal who loves knitting, spinning and crafting in general! When I’m not knitting, I’m enjoying my time with my wonderful husband and our spunky little dog Sparkles. I love learning new things, meeting people who share my joy and passion for the fiber arts, and sharing with others. For me, blogging has given me the opportunity to nit only share my adventures, but my ups and downs, my projects, my goals and so much more.
This entry was posted in Casting On and Casting Off, Yarn Along and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Yarn Along ~ Knitting with a bit of reading!

1. lizella says:

That yarn is beautiful, can’t wait to see how it looks as it progresses. I’m reading The Crown by Nancy Bilyeau, historical fiction set in 1537 England. I’m really enjoying it so far. I’ll have to check out that series you mentioned.

2. Morgan says:

I also read the Lacemakers of Glenmara, and found it an easy read but I did get hung up at times on the time-frame, in which everything resolves very quickly. I also read Buffalo Soldier by Chris Bohjalian; I liked it overall but do find his endings less believable than the rest of his books. I’ve recently worked through the Lord John books (connected to the Outlander series you’re reading), and liked those a lot – Lord John is an interesting character. Currently reading Snuff by Terry Pratchett.

I’m about to start the Color Affection shawl, and am working on Angularities Armwarmers for my daughter (both from Ravelry).

• Tina says:

Well put on the Lacemakers of Glenmara. I haven’t read any of Chris Bohjalian’s books and will have to check this author out. Great knitting projects you’ve got going too :)

3. Ava says:

I am knitting a sleeveless waistcoat in Rowan chunky wool and reading a fantasy fiction series ‘Game of Thrones’ – currently on book 5, probably 6 more books to go! Happy Knitting.

• Tina says:

Your waistcoat sounds great Ana! Are you enjoying the “Game of Thrones” ? We just watched Season 1 and loved it :)

4. Bonny says:

I love knitting and reading as well. Sometimes I do both at the same time if the knitting is simple enough and doesn’t require focus. I go back and forth between actual paper books and digital books on my IPad. Using the IPad to read while knitting is awesome!

I just finished reading “Lily of the Nile” #1 and now I’m reading “Song of the Nile” #2. Both written by Stephanie Dray. They are in order of sequence. The story is about Cleopatra’s daughter and her life first as a captive of Octavian and then as Queen of Mauritania. Simple and enjoyable.

• Tina says:

I’ve been thinking about Stephanie Dray’s books and it sounds like you’re enjoying them. I’ve done the same as you and have read via my iPad and the actual book ~ I love the portability :)

5. agujasblog says:

I’m getting ready to cast on for the “movie star scarf” from More Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I’m anxious for the next Johan Theorin novel to hit U.S. bookstores.

• Tina says:

Excellent pattern! I’ve not read any of Johan Theorin’s books … do you enjoy them?

• agujasblog says:

They’re all set in Sweden – there’s just something about Scandinavian literature. His novels have a sense of the supernatural but they are not otherworldly. They are typically murder mysteries. I liked his first two books.

• Tina says:

Sounds interesting Veronica … thank you for sharing :)

6. Beth J. Beal says:

Love the yarn and they look like good reads! Where DO you find the time?

7. Gotta love the name, “Vodka Lemonade.” A family member once told me that my mother used to drink vodka in Kool-Aid. I’m not sure combining those two would make a good yarn name, though!

• Tina says:

Hmmmmm…. Kool-Aid and vodka would be interesting and I have to agree, would it be a good name for yarn or a pattern.

8. Wendi says:

I hope to be making Vodka Lemonade soon. So many other things keep getting in the way. Darn it! Can you read a book and knit at the same time?!

• Tina says:

Heck no, I’m not that talented Wen but I usually read before or after, or listen to audio books. Vodka Lemonade is really a great knit, you would enjoy it!