After seeing my friend Simone’s granny square cowl project (Sand and Sky Creations), I was inspired to see what I had in my stash that I could create something with. I really wasn’t looking at a cowl project, but the colors of Simone’s squares really caught my eye and I started thinking that an afghan might be in order. I opted for chunky to bulky weight, and was happy to find several skeins of miscellaneous yarns that really couldn’t be used for too many projects due to yardage limitations.
For this project I will be using my stash of the following yarns and a size US L Hook (8.00mm)
- Valley Yarns Berkshire Bulky in Medium Heather
- Valley Yarns Bershire Bulky in Dark Heather
- Cascade Baby Alpaca Chunky in Monteray Bay (teal colored blue)
- Cascade Baby Alpaca Chunky in Ice Flower (soft sky blue)
- Jo Sharp Silkroad Ultra in Birch
- Jo Sharp Silkroad Ultra in Seafoam
I’m also considering adding a multi-colored yarn and purchased two skeins of Sensations “It’s a Wrap” in taupe. The colors in this mix blend well with my stash colors and might be a nice contrast.
After looking a various granny square afghans online, I’ve decided to use Miss Yvette’s Afghan pattern by LionBrand. I may not follow the pattern to the letter but use it more as a guide for my project. Now the fun part, the color order!
Until next time, happy knitting, crocheting, spinning and crafting!