On The Bookshelf: Lovely Knitted Lace by Brooke Nico

knitted lace

Lace knitting gets a fresh update that finally makes the craft accessible to all!

From a Triangle Tulip Shawl and Floral Tunic to a Starry Nights Bolero, these stunning projects showcase rich textures and beautiful detail.

Working with four basic shapes, Brooke Nico creates 16 gorgeous wearables plus two “bonus” variants. You can use needles and yarn of any size to knit these garments, and each one features simple construction and elegant lines.

Today I am introducing to Lovely Knitted Lace: A Geometric Approach to Gorgeous Wearables by knitwear designer Brooke Nico.

When I received this book in the mail, the front cover immediately captured my attention and I knew what was inside would be a gorgeous lace adventure.  For me personally, I like Brooke’s approach in her new book as she only uses four basic shapes with simple construction to create 16 fantastic pieces, all that can be knitted in various weights of yarns and different sizes of needles.  Pretty neat if you ask me!

So, what’s inside?  There are six chapters inside this 128 page book that contain detailed information, including chapters dedicated to abbreviations and knitting basics.  Please note that while there are written instructions for each design, the lace designs are primarily charted, with the exception of seven designs, which include written and charted instructions. For those of you uncertain about charts,  Brooke has included in the first chapter two pages dedicated to understanding how to read and use charts.

As for the sixteen designs, including two bonus designs,  you will find a total of  2 scarves, 1 hat, nine shawls and six garments, all broken down in various forms in the following chapters.  Also included is a chapter for “Motifs for Exploration” that teaches you how to incorporate different lace motifs into lovely knitted shawls or garments.

Triangles:

Rectangles:

Circles:

Squares:

I LOVE this book and already have a few favorites:

“Birch Jacket” © 2014 Lark Crafts, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co.

“Japanese Leaf Scarf” © 2014 Lark Crafts, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co.

“Posies Wrap” © 2014 Lark Crafts, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co.

Even though this book currently retails for $19.95, you are getting each pattern for $1.25 each, which is a steal !  I would consider this book for your reference library, but if you are apprehensive about the charted instructions, this might not be the right book for you and would suggest checking it out at a local library or viewing it at your LYS before buying.  On the flip side, if you love adventure and are an avid lace knitter, then go for it, you’ll love the designs!

About the Designer:  Brooke Nico is the co-owner of Kirkwood Knittery, where she uses her eye for detail and fashion experience to keep her store ahead of trends in knitting. However, lace is where Brooke has really made her mark, and her talent has been recognized by Vogue Knitting, Knitters, and Debbie Bliss magazine. She has taught lace classes at VKLive, VKLive LA, and several Stitches (XRX) events. Brooke lives in Kirkwood, MO.  You can find Brooke online at Ravelry.

Disclaimer:  This copy was provided by Sterling Publishing for review  and the above opinions are my own.

28 thoughts on “On The Bookshelf: Lovely Knitted Lace by Brooke Nico

1. Sandie Knapp

That Japanese Leaf scarf is adorable. I love all of the leaf motif’s. They always look lovely, no matter what garment they are used on.

This book is also being offered as a give-a-way on knitty.com, and believe you me, I have left my comment and am crossing my fingers that I just might get lucky this time. :)

2. Brooke Nico

Thanks for the great book review, I’m so glad you are enjoying the book. Just for clarification, I wanted to point out that 7 of the designs in the book include both written and charted instructions! (Including the Posies Wrap and the Japanese Leaf Scarf pictured above). Enjoy!

3. starproms

I’ve not been brought up on charts so I find them amazingly difficult to follow. I could do with some lessons on that. Pity she doesn’t give written instructions on those gorgeous shawls for oldies like me! Never mind, I love that pretty little brown shrug in your pictures. Thanks for telling us about the book.

4. Donna

I just ordered this book from amazon and I have also ordered the yarn for my first project in the book, which will be the Birch Jacket. I’m certain I will need a smaller size than the size 36. How can I modify the instructions for a size 34? Hoping Brooke answers this .

I am anxious to receive he book and yarn and start knitting this beautiful jacket

1. Brooke Nico

Hi Donna, The size small fits me, and I am pretty small (anyone who’s seen me can probably chime in, and the word “skinny” will probably come up!) If you need to modify it more, I would look at adjusting the gauge down just a bit, as the pattern construction makes modification pretty challenging!

1. Donna

Thank you Brooke. I’ll go ahead and make the size 36. Can’t wait to see how my birch jacket turns out. I’m using the medium brown color in that same yarn.

1. Tina Post author

I haven’t decided quite yet, but I love brown tones so I’m thinking it will be a similar color :)

5. Donna

Hello, I have begun knitting the birch jacket, casting on 41 stitches for the Size small. I have followed the chart very carefully, and I’ve had to rip it out and start over several times because I’m short a number of stitches at the end of the knit row, which is charted. I am frustrated, but bound to get this right. I just don’t understand why I keep coming up short? Any suggestions ?

1. Brooke Nico

I’ve double checked the pattern, and it is correct. I’m not sure why you are coming up short. Are you working chart 1? Row 1 should be k2, (k1, yo, k1, sk2p, k1, yo) repeat between ( )’s to last 3 sts., k3.
      The most common mistake I can think of is in the sk2p. This should be a double decrease, i.e, decreasing 3 stitches into 1. Slip the 1st stitch, knit the next 2 sts. together, then pass the slipped stitch over. Hope this helps! I know how frustrating it is to cast on several times!

1. Donna

I started over again last night……did 5 perfect rows…….set it aside until today…….Just finished row 36 ….Amazing….it looks absolutely perfect . Before, I would get several rows done and it didn’t look like any pattern was being formed. I really took my time and went very slow and carefully checked my work along the way. I think I have finally got it.

If I have any questions along the way, I will ask here on this blog. I hope I don’t become a nuisance😊

2. Tina Post author

Hurray and I’m glad to hear it is working good for you. Ask away … if I don’t have the answer I will try to get Brooke to respond :)

2. Tina Post author

Hi Donna, I am so sorry you are having trouble. Maybe this will help …

Row 1= K2, *(k1, yo, k1, sl1, k2tog, psso, k1, yo) repeat from the * six times, k3 = 41 sts

Does that help ?

6. Donna

I’m trying it again later this evening. I’ll keep you posted. I’m very determined…….and thankfully, very patient.

7. Donna

BIRCH JACKET: I have gotten to the point on this birch jacket …. begin The Body..I’ve finished Set-Up Rounds 1 and 2. I am about to start working the chart 2 Rounds. I am confused about the placement of the markers at this point.

I placed the markers as instructed in Set-Up Round 1……in the next section, working Chart 2 rounds, it appears the markers need to be re-placed. Am I correct?

I’m setting it aside until someone is kind enough to answer. The piece to this point looks lovely!

1. Tina Post author

Hi Donna… sorry but I’ve been off line. I really can’t help as I have not knitted this design but might suggest you ask Brooke, who can be found online at Ravelry or you might try contacting via her store, Kirkwood Knittery. Best of luck :)

8. Donna

Thanks Tina, but I think I have figured it out on my own. This has been a whole new learning experience, but I will finish the jacket for sure……just may take me longer than someone else.

Thanks again for replying. Much appreciated.