Time for a Change of Pace

I’ve been a bit quiet over the past week but I have been thinking about my knitting endeavors and have come to the conclusion the Knitting Womanmain reason I have been very fickle in my projects lately is the simple fact that I’m plum tired of knitting.

Like many of you, I’ve been knitting for a very long time, so long that other interests that I once loved and truly enjoyed have taken a back seat to my knitting, which I honestly can say has been the main love of my life for over 18 years . With that being said,  I’ve made a decision that it’s time for a change of pace.

This week I pondered what it is I really want to do and set off with a strong urge to spring clean my craft room.  I disposed of items I did not really need, or even want, downsized the books in my library (off to Bookman’s I go), and donated a good chuck of yarn to a local charity who make wonderful items for a good cause.   I feel refreshed, even exhilarated, and even though my room looks rather bare, but I’m quite pleased with the result and I’ve made a decision on what I really want to do as far as crafting is concerned.

One, I want to SPIN!  I love spinning and find it to be very soothing and peacefully, especially after a long day a work but I have neglected it due to my knitting.  I want to concentrate more on my spinning and hone my skills so that I can use my handspun for garments.  With this concept in mind,  I have re-organized my craft  room to have a little spinning corner, one that I’m quite proud of and love the results.  My belief in life is that if you see things, you will use what you see first instead of buying more.

005

Two, I want to DRAW!  I have decided to delve back into something I really love many years ago, drawing, and even water color.  I tend to get very passionate about my hobbies and buy everything that pertains to my new found joy but this time, it’s different.  This time, I’m going slow and have been extremely happy, quite content with what I have been working with that I have on hand,  and I haven’t missed my knitting, GASP!

Now I know you all have heard about doodling, but I’m not sure if you’ve heard of Zentangle.  I noticed that everything I googled paisley, I found beautiful renditions that fell under the category of Zentangle or doodling.

The Zentangle Method is an easy-to-learn, relaxing, and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.   Almost anyone can use it to create beautiful images. It increases focus and creativity, provides artistic satisfaction along with an increased sense of personal well being. The Zentangle Method is enjoyed all over this world across a wide range of skills, interests and ages. ~ Zentangle

My “doodles” are not perfect by any means, but I had fun, which is something that has been lacking in my crafting life for a very long time.

flower

My paisley flower

My first hummingbird

My first hummingbird

I’m not giving my knitting or even crocheting as both have been a large part of my life, but I am stepping away from it for a while and for how long, well I really can’t say.

I do apologize for my lengthy post, but as long time readers, I wanted to share what I was thinking with you and want you to know how much I appreciate you listening to my rambles today.

I may not post as often but until next time, happy crafting!

29 thoughts on “Time for a Change of Pace

1. sewsable

That happened to me some years ago with sewing, I’ve slowly come back to it now, partly due to a new interest in historical costuming. My sewing got replaced with knitting and then spinning. No matter which one I’m currently doing though they are all creative and they all keep me sane.

1. Tina Post author

That is so wonderful that you have an interest in historical costuming, I find that to be quite fascinating and admire you immensely :) Sewing is wonderful too and I hope to do more quilting :)

1. sewsable

Thank you for the compliment. I need to do more quilting as well, I made couch quilts for my brother and his wife and also for us but I think there needs to be one each for my SIL, BIL, MIL and my parents. I need to find more wool blankets to use as batting though.

2. Leah

Wow..your drawing is spectacular!!! And your spinning wheel is beautiful. Just post pix of that stuff..don’t worry as much about lots of words!

3. Curls & Q

Q- love Zentangles!! If you look at some of my “wreck this journal” posts you’ll see some. I find every where info, I tak pics of patterns that will make great Zentangles. Totally love yours. The hummingbird is to covet!!

1. Tina Post author

Susan I love Zentangles and it’s such a great creative way to express your artistic side. Thank you … I rather like my hummingbird too :)

4. Pia

GREAT doodles! I know all about the change in pace, with me it happens more frequently, though. Looking forward to seeing your yarns!

5. starproms

It’s springtime and we all want a change, a renewal. You’ll get back to your knitting when Autumn comes, I’m sure. Meantime, enjoy your new(ish) pursuits and be sure to show us how you’re doing?

6. snailishknits

Oh Zantangles? INTERESTING. Knitting does have that thing about it, it’s a very obsessive hobby. It’s like you can’t not knit. I started in August 2013 and honestly I think I haven’t knit for a week in total since then. And four of those days I was in a different country and didn’t bring my needles (was afraid they’d get taken off me). It’s a very strange hobby in that way. Almost not a hobby, but a necessity.

1. Tina Post author

It really can be obsessive, and even addictive at times but it sounds like you are having a wonderful time knitting.

7. Jenny

I love the hummingbird. I keep hearing about Zentangle too, I think it’s time to see if my local library has any books about it. Thanks for reminding me.

8. Sandie Knapp

With artistic talent as good as I am seeing here, you should definitely cultivate it, and give it time to grow. Beautiful work.

I’ve been knitting for 66 years now, but there were short periods of time when life got too busy, and not much knitting was done. But my hands can’t be still for long, so for me, it is a necessity of sorts. But my spinning does suffer because of it, quite often.

Have fun with your art. You are off to a great start. :)

1. Tina Post author

Wow, I can’t imagine knitting for that length of time Sandie, that is quite wonderful. Thank you so much for your kind words, I am having fun and I’m rather excited about my new adventure :)

9. Andi

Everyone needs to re-evaluate why they do things sometimes. Sort of a spring cleaning of the day to day rituals. Enjoy following your passions to what interests you and what you enjoy!
    Love those doodles!!!

1. Tina Post author

I love that Andi, “Sort of a spring cleaning of the day to day rituals” ~ that is so true and thank you so much for your kind words about my doodles, I’m having fun :)

10. karen

I think it’s great you are rediscovering old loves and keeping the tried and true loves, I love pen and paper immensely so now I’m off to check out the links :) have a wonderful weekend!!

1. Tina Post author

I hope you enjoy the Zentangle as much as I am Karen and it is quite relaxing. Re-discovering old loves is a good thing at times and helps rejuvenate ones spirit :)

11. CathieJ

Your drawings are wonderful. I always wish I could draw. I am fairly good a copying a drawing but being able to draw on my own would help my cross-stitch designs. I actually thought of crewel or redwork when I saw your pretty flower.

1. Tina Post author

Thank you Cathie :) I was thinking about creating designs for crewel too with my flower but not sure if I want to go that far. Drawing is relaxing and quite enjoyable and it would help you with cross-stitch designs.

12. sandandsky

I don’t know what it is about knitting but it sure can take over, can’t it! I find that I have simiar feelings sometimes and I just have to do something different so I’ve been busting out my sewing machine more and more. It truly is restorative to change up the pace a bit. I love seeing your drawings. They are so beautiful and delicate and happy :-)

1. Tina Post author

I don’t either but it does rather take over. I’m glad that I’m not the only that has the feelings at times and it is good to have other things to change to for a break. Sewing is so relaxing and that is one that I want to do more of too. Thank you so much, I’m enjoying the drawing :)