Friday WIPs and a Find!

I’m so excited about my two projects that I’ve got on the needles right now, and both are moving along quite well for me.

I decided to stop being such a “baby” about toe up socks and purchased a used copy of Socks from the Toe Up by Wendy Johnson of Wendy Knits.  Wendy’s book is so wonderful and I love the step by step tutorials she included for casting on, heels and more.  So last night with my book in hand, I learned how to do a Turkish cast on and started the Trilobite Socks that are in her book.   I love the look of my first sock and can’t wait to finish it to start the mate!   My goal is to master this method and then learn two at a time toe up.

008

I’m also working on my Misty Pearl vest in Knit Picks Cotlin and really loving the look.  My plans this weekend is to finish the two front panels and set up the back.

002

So you know I love my vintage finds and today I had to share a little find that I got off Etsy. This tiny oval print is from the early 1900s and I truly love it!

009

The weather has been quite beautiful this week in Phoenix, even with the wind, and our back yard is in full bloom.

006

What projects have you been working on this week?

Until next time, happy knitting, crocheting, spinning and crafting!

18 thoughts on “Friday WIPs and a Find!

1. Sandie Knapp

I’ve made two pair of socks, to date, using the toe up method, and I have to say, the pair I made using a free pattern from Wendy Knits, was by far the easiest to do. Saying that, I still am not fond of knitting toe up, but that is my personal preference. You may find it easier and quicker for you. For me, I could not get the socks to fit snugly enough to suit me. And yes, I did try more than just twice, I only completed 2 pair. LOL Have fun learning.

Your vest is coming along nicely, and looking good too.

I wish I could say we had flowers ablooming in abundance around here, but that would be lying. The Daffodils are doing great, but the Forsythia are just now showing a few blossoms, but hopefully they will come on quickly. We’ve been having a bit of rain almost daily, and with the warming temperatures, it has finally coaxed the leaves to begin opening, so it is beginning to green up. The lawns are already very green, but the trees and shrubs are just starting to leaf out. Thankful for these small pleasures at the moment. LOL

1. Tina Post author

Thank you Sandie and I am having fun learning something new, fingers crossed it will help keep my interest in knitting socks more often. I am so glad to hear that spring has finally arrived for you back there. You must be so happy 😊

2. lollyknits

I love two at a time toe up! I get Second Sock Syndrome quite badly, and it’s the only way for me to avoid getting demoralized. Also I like to use all my yarn.

1. Tina Post author

I want to learn to do two at a time Lolly so I can avoid the second sock syndrome. Do you use two needles or one for yours?

3. Janet

Lovely knitting, Tina. I enjoy toe-up socks but seem to return to cuff-down patterns most often. The vintage print is adorable. Enjoy your weekend.

1. Tina Post author

Thank you Janet. I’ve been enjoying the toe up and really like the nice wide toe. It’s always good to learn new things and it will be interesting to see which version I end up liking overall. 😊

4. sandandsky

I’m so excited that you ‘re giving toe-up socks another go. The book you have chosen is a really great one. I’m eager to see more of your pretty socks :-)

5. Cindi Brumpton

Tina that vest is going to be gorgeous and the colour will take u to all seasons! One of my goals this year is to make a pair of toe up socks so I will be watching your posts with interest. Sweet Tina, I do miss you!

1. Tina Post author

Thank you so much Cindi! I think you would enjoy the socks, they are fun and actually quite easy! Miss you too dear one 😊

6. Debbie Winn

Tina, I am pretty much a newbie to knitting socks, but I love the book “Toe-up 2-at-a-Time Socks” by Melissa Morgan-Oakes. It is so much fun to have both socks done at the same time. If I did one at-a-time, I probably wouldn’t finish them. And to be able to try them on as you go is great.:)
    Have a great weekend!

1. Tina Post author

I just bought that book Debbie and it’s good to know you like it! I look for to doing both and think it will make it easier not to have the dreaded second sock syndrome 😊. Have a great weekend too!

7. wifemomknitter

Toe-up is my preferred method of socking knitting.

Funny enough, I knit one pair of socks two at a time toe up and thought they were taking forever. Odd, right?

1. Tina Post author

I think it’s going to be my preferred method of knitting too .. I’m loving it :) That is odd about your two at a time, but it would take a bit longer as you are knitting two.

1. Tina Post author

Thank you Jody! We bought it at Lowes about 4 years ago and I love it. The vine is a red Mandevilla and it is still blooming. I’m hoping it will make it through the heat of the summer.

8. karen

you a baby? never! Love your knits! I’m slogging away on a stripey scarf for my husband and a shawl in charcoal that I’m not sure what row I stopped on, so I’m waiting until I have time to read my knitting and carry on.

1. Tina Post author

Thank you Karen but some time I do feel that way :) Some projects do seem that they take forever, my vest is feeling that way and I’m not sure it will every end either .